Tuesday, October 5, 2010

G-d's BFF

Today's Reading from Bereishit:
Genesis 4:19-5:24

Today's reading may seem tedious at first glance. Most of the passage is a veritable laundry list of who begat whom. However, I actually love reading the genealogy lists in the Bible. Why? Because I believe they affirm women.

For example, in today's passage, Moshe goes out of his way to specifically name the two wives of Lamech: Adah and Zillah. It's my understanding that in other genealogical writings from that time period, especially those from patriarchal cultures, women are not mentioned. They are not considered important. After all, the man's name is carried on through his sons, right?

But this does not appear to be G-d's plan. G-d created man and he created woman, and they were both good. And in the lists of generations recorded in the Bible, in the Torah, Tanach and B'rit Chadashah, G-d affirms women by not only including them, but including them by name.

Men and women were created differently. We have only to look in the nearest mirror to determine that fact. G-d created each of us with different roles and responsibilities. Yet the fact remains: He created both of us. G-d created both man and woman and proclaimed them very good! The Almighty ruler of the universe does not show partiality here. He loves both men and women equally, and longs for relationship with all the human beings He placed on this earth! What could be more affirming than that? So to those who claim the Bible is anti-woman, I say look no further than the lists of generations. From those alone it is clear that G-d values women, and this is supported by many other passages in the Bible.

Another interesting nugget in today's reading is a simple statement hidden at the end of chapter 4. This chapter ends with Adam and Eve having a third son named Seth, and Seth having a son named Enosh. Then in verse 26 it mentions that it was then that "men began to call upon the name of the L-rd." Why specifically point this out? Could it be that after the expulsion from the garden and the murder of Abel, man decided to go his own way? If so, he obviously discovered that his way was not the best way, as he soon began to call upon the name of the L-rd.

Finally, we end our passage with the mention of Enoch, one of the descendants of Seth. Enoch walked closely with G-d. So closely, in fact, that it's my understanding that one day G-d simply took Enoch up to be with him. No death, no passing through the invisible curtain, just immediate and physical transport into the presence of G-d. What would that be like? Can you imagine being so close with G-d, so intimate with Him, that He would decide to bring you into His presence immediately, without death?

Now I will be the first to admit that I'm probably more attached to this world than I should be. I adore my family and can't imagine leaving them. Still, my prayer today is that I would have the type of communion with G-d that Enoch had. I want to walk so closely with Him that He is my best thought and my sustenance. I want to stop worrying what other human beings think of me and seek His approval only. What would my life be like if I feared G-d alone, and not man?

Tomorrow: Genesis 5:25-6:8

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Josie! I am also a firm believer that if you not only read, but also study, the Bible it affirms and lifts up women. It really bothers me that so many people are so quick to say how the Bible is anti-woman. I wonder how many of them actually have read the Bible (and more than just a few paragraphs or even a couple books of the Bible), and studied it in the context of the times the various books were written? Thanks for sharing, love, rosemary

    ReplyDelete