Saturday, October 2, 2010

A New Beginning...

Shabbat shalom!

I hinted a few weeks ago that I would be changing the nature of this blog to something more uplifting. Well, the time has come. Today is the day. Today is Simchat Torah.

For those of you who don't know, Simchat Torah means "Joy of the Torah" or "Rejoicing in the Torah." It is the day when, in Synagogues around the world, we roll back the Torah scroll and start the yearly reading cycle again from the beginning. At this time we rejoice with a processional, singing and dancing. It is an uplifting and heartwarming experience to watch as the Torah is paraded around the congregation while everyone follows and sings and reaches out to touch it with a tallis or siddur or Bible, then brings the item reverently to their lips to kiss it. Watching the faces of the children as the scroll is unrolled, their eyes wide with excitement, is truly a joy to behold.

So it is at this time of joy and excitement that I embark on this new endeavor. As you may have noticed from the above account, the Word of G-d is precious to me. Thus, I have decided to use this blog to process my thoughts on the parshah texts, the weekly Jewish reading cycle. I suppose you might call this a devotional, of sorts. For me, this will include the Torah, Haftarah and B'rit Chadashah readings. I will break them down into smaller, daily portions in order to reflect on them more fully.

My earnest desire is that whatever insights G-d may give me will bless others through this blog. I welcome your comments and responses as we all grow together on this journey. I don't pretend to be an expert in theology or even someone who is exceptionally pious. I am simply a fellow traveler who wants to humbly share her journey with others.

Sincerely,

Josie

Tomorrow: Bereishit

No comments:

Post a Comment