Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Is She the One?

Reading from Chayei Sarah:
Genesis 24:10-52

In this section of Chayei Sarah, we pick up with Abraham's servant searching for a suitable wife for Isaac. Abraham's servant seems not only to want to succeed because of his oath to Abraham, but because of his regard for Abraham as well. In Genesis 24:12, the servant asks the G-d of Abraham not just for success, but for G-d to give him success in order to show lovingkindness to his master, Abraham. This is hardly the prayer of someone who is facing a task grudgingly and under duress.

As the story unfolds, we see more evidence of the relationship between Abraham, his servant and the G-d of Abraham. In verse 14, Abraham's servant approaches the city well and asks the L-rd for a specific sign to point him to the right girl:

14 now may it be that the girl to whom I say, ‘Please let down your jar so that I
may drink,’ and who answers, ‘Drink, and I will water your camels also’—may she
be the one whom You have appointed for Your servant Isaac; and by this I will
know that You have shown lovingkindness to my master.”

The IVP Bible Background Commentary notes that while it would be within social customs for one of the women to offer a stranger a drink, it would be well out of the norm for someone to offer to water all their camels too. So here we see the servant trusting the G-d of Abraham to provide a very specific indication of the answer to his prayer.

In verses 17-19, G-d gives him the very sign for which he asked. Rebekah gives the man a drink, tells him she will water his camels as well and promptly does so. Still, the servant hesitates, wondering in verse 21 whether this sign was truly from the L-rd. So in His great mercy and lovingkindness - to Abraham, his servant and Isaac - the L-rd provides further proof that Rebekah is indeed the chosen bride. When the servant asks her whose daughter she is, it turns out that she is from Abraham's family, the very people from whom Isaac's bride was to be chosen!

After receiving this good news, Abraham's servant could have continued on his mission, rejoicing inwardly, perhaps offering a silent "thank you" to G-d. I think if we're honest, most of us would admit that this would be our likely course of action. However, the servant doesn't do this. Instead, in verses 26-27 we see:

26 Then the man bowed low and worshiped the LORD.
27 He said, “Blessed be the LORD, the God of my master Abraham, who has not
forsaken His lovingkindness and His truth toward my master; as for me, the LORD
has guided me in the way to the house of my master’s brothers.”

This servant, most likely a foreigner in his master's household, bows before the G-d of his master right then and there, blessing Him for His gracious favor! And he doesn't stop there. After meeting Rebekah's family, he again recounts the story of G-d's faithfulness and guidance. And when Rebekah's family agrees to let her return with him he again remembers to thank the L-rd (Gen. 24:52). This reminds me once again of the legacy of Abraham's faith. What an impression Abraham must have made on this servant that he would seek G-d's guidance, trust in G-d to provide an answer, proclaim G-d's goodness to others and humbly and reverently thank G-d for His loving provision.

This story causes me to reflect, do I trust G-d as this servant did? Do I remember to thank Him for the things He's done for me? Do I share stories of His faithfulness to me with others? And am I like Abraham? Do others around me see such evidence of G-d's truth in my life that they are compelled to seek Him as well?

My prayer today is that I would live out my faith in the style of Abraham and his servant.


New American Standard Bible : 1995 update. 1995 (Ge 24:26–27). LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.

New American Standard Bible : 1995 update. 1995 (Ge 24:14). LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment